50 Things to Do Before You’re 11 3/4

For the last couple of years, hubby and I have been National Trust members. We love the fact that there are so many different places to visit for the cost of a membership fee.

The other advantage is that many National Trust places accept dogs, at least in the grounds. One such place locally is the beautiful Brockhampton Estate

IMG_20150523_115507556_HDR copy

And it’s a sign of Libby growing up that today when we went to take back the map from our walk, she was offered a scrapbook to record her 50 things to do before you’re 11 3/4

I’ve been vaguely aware of this for a while now, but have thought Libby was a bit young to understand it. Now though, she is delighted to give it a go.

Today, she got her “climbed a huge hill” sticker. There are quite a lot of things on the list that she’s already done, but I don’t think there’s any harm in counting them starting from today.

We all love being outside, especially Libby.

IMG_20150523_122302124_HDR

Brockhampton is just an ideal place to go on a sunny day like today. There are six walks of varying degrees of difficulty.

We did the yellow walk, which was a nice, gentle walk a mile and a half long. It incorporated a big hill that Libby could tick off in her activity book.

There was also a pond, open fields and some beautiful woodland, complete with bluebells.

IMG_20150523_113524556

IMG_20150523_121039349

IMG_20150523_120907108

Had the weather been poor, we would have taken a wander up to the house which you can also look around. But Libby will never tick off her 50 things to do before you’re 11 3/4 indoors.

I love the fact that the National Trust encourage children to get outside. At Brockhampton, you can go Geocaching throughout the summer.

We didn’t realise this until we’d had our walk, or we would have given it a go. It’s something that I think all of us would enjoy. It’s always great to get into a new outdoor activity.

There is also archaeological activity going on at Brockhampton this weekend. Our girls are a bit young to be interested in this, but in the future it’s definitely something we’ll get involved in.

Wherever you are in the country, I would highly recommend investing in National Trust membership. There are so many places to explore and once you’ve paid the membership fee, your days out are free.

There are cafés at many of the locations, but you can always take a picnic and spend nothing all day.

Today we had a really nice lunch from the café. But like most people, we have times where there’s more month than money between paydays and a free day out is an absolute godsend.

And of course, if people didn’t support the National Trust, so much of our heritage would be lost.

1. May 23, 2015 / 10:24 pm

Hello! I have only just found your lovely blog today. Thank you for commenting on our Country Kids post.

We are the “owners” of a 10 year old and totally agree that it is good to get outside with the children.

I am a big fan of the National Trust too!

• monsterid May 23, 2015 / 10:48 pm

Thank you Donna, it’s great to find other bloggers who enjoy being outdoors with their children.x

2. May 25, 2015 / 12:10 am

You know I am a fan too, I don’t feel we are using our membership enough but it is a great opportunity especially as there is so much now for families with children. We did manage a National Trust visit last week which might just be my Country Kids post for this week. Well done Libby for taking the 50 things challenge, I think there is lots on there she could do already, the sticker idea is great too. Thank you for sharing with me on Country Kids.
    Coombe Mill recently posted…Dear Great Great GrandblogMy Profile

• monsterid May 25, 2015 / 1:48 am

Thank you Fiona. I agree, they have so much for families these days. I don’t know if it’s my age that’s showing but I always used to think nt was mainly for the older generation. These days they really do have something for everyone.x

3. May 25, 2015 / 5:47 am

I need to look at this list! We are keen going out to explore and I want to know what else we can do outside with my son =) #countrykids

• monsterid May 25, 2015 / 7:37 am

Ah fab I think you’d love it, I think we’re going to go geocaching this week, it’s really inspired us.xx

4. ninjacat
    May 25, 2015 / 8:20 am

Being outdoors is where I feel most at home
    That dog is the size of a Shetland pony
    Beautiful capture
    ninjacat recently posted…How To Make Apple CrispsMy Profile

• monsterid May 25, 2015 / 9:24 pm

Thank you Claire. We also feel much more at home outdoors, we’ve had another lovely outdoor day today, I really do feel better for it.xx

5. May 25, 2015 / 9:23 am

We’re huge fans of NT too! Our favourites are The Vyne and Mottisfont in Hampshire! Looks like you had a great time! Check out the size of the dog! 😉 #CountryKids
    Baby Isabella recently posted…Our family retreat in YorkshireMy Profile

• monsterid May 25, 2015 / 9:24 pm

Oh fab, thanks for the recommendations, we’ll check those out next time we’re down that way. The dog isn’t as big as he looks, bit of an optical illusion I think 😉

6. May 25, 2015 / 7:14 pm

I have yet to visit any natural trust sites as an adult but i really should look into membership as there is so many wonderful places to visit here in Northumberland and i have heard they are great family days out. Lovely photos xx
    Lindsay @ Newcastle Family Life recently posted…Sophia You Are TwoMy Profile

• monsterid May 25, 2015 / 9:20 pm

Thank you Lyndsay. You really should visit, you’ll love it and the membership is such good value.xx

7. May 28, 2015 / 3:17 pm

We love national trust places, well we love the outdoors. I keep looking into geocaching there’s loads by our house but haven’t found the time to do it yet.
    Kelly-Marie recently posted…Haldon Forest WalkMy Profile

• monsterid May 28, 2015 / 3:31 pm

Thank you Kelly-Marie. We had a go at geocaching yesterday. It was resoundingly unsuccessful but we’ll be trying again soon!x