9 beautiful things that happened in 2015

2015 has been a difficult year for many people, myself included. There have been countless tragedies around the world and as the year draws to a close, there is a tendency to write it off as a bad year. So I wanted to take stock and look at these 9 beautiful things that happened in 2015. These random acts of kindness prove that actually, people are quite nice really.

1. Helping out a damsel in distress

I’m going to start with my friend Chris, a blogger at Life of Medals. You’ll see why in a minute. Earlier this year, Chris saw a lady that had broken down in a queue of traffic. This was causing chaos but nobody seemed to have the time to stop and help. So Chris not only pushed her out of the traffic, he took the time to get her car started for her as well.

2. Making a stranger’s day

Another good friend of mine, Mel is a photographer and blogger at Full Stop Next Chapter. At Easter, she left an envelope on a bench on the Malvern Hills. Inside was a voucher for a free photo shoot with her, along with free digital photographs so that the lucky finders didn’t have to pay a thing to capture and keep some beautiful memories.

9 beautiful things that happened in 2015

3. Helping the homeless

We’re back to Chris again for this one. Chris helps out the homeless in his local area by handing out food, money, clothes and sleeping bags. Their reaction is a mixture of gratitude and amazement, particularly in the case of one gentleman who hadn’t had dry clothes for a week.

4. Anonymous gifts

Angela who blogs at Days in Bed moved house in 2015. Shortly afterwards they found an envelope dropped through their door containing £40. The next day, a box of chocolate tea cakes and chocolate bars arrived. Both were anonymous and arrived at a difficult time when they were greatly appreciated. As Angela never found out who sent the gifts, she decided to pay the kindness forward.

5. Thinking of absent friends

Not satisfied with helping out damsels in distress and handing out useful things to the homeless, Chris also sends food parcels to absent friends. This includes members of his running club who are absent and missing out on fun activities. I have also been the recipient of one of Chris’s kind acts. Earlier this year, he sent a home-made cake pop each for all of our family. It was one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me.

6. Cheering people up

Earlier this year, my husband had a nasty accident. He was in hospital for a few weeks, during which time I was going back and forth to the hospital every day. Most days, the children came with me so their usual lives went on hold. My friend Laura heard about the accident and sent the girls a beautiful little toy farmyard to cheer them up. The girls loved it and still play with it regularly.

7. Presents for charity

The next kind act that Chris performed this year was to ask for donations to charity instead of birthday and Christmas presents for himself. Whilst it’s always lovely to receive a gift, charities will put the equivalent value to much better use so I do love this idea.

8. Going the extra mile

When Mim took part in a blogger secret Santa, she got more than she bargained for. Mim has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer and the blogger buying for her had read her blog about her diagnosis. So as well as the secret santa gift, she sent through a special care package including a dressing gown, toiletries and chocolate.

9. Taking in a stray

In an act of kindness that took even Chris by surprise, he took in a stray cat that had been found by a colleague. Sidney needed medical attention and a loving home. And he has certainly landed on his paws.

9 beautiful things that happened in 2015

I haven’t done anything anywhere near as wonderful as any of these people this year, but I have given to charity and taken in another rescue dog. But we definitely get back more than we give from our rescue puppy, she has made this a happier home all round.

9 beautiful things that happened in 2015

I am taking part in the Wayfair blog it forward challenge after Izzie very kindly tagged me. I would like to tag Chris and Mel to take part as I’ve particularly enjoyed reading about their fabulous acts of kindness.

#blogitforward

1. December 24, 2015 / 9:36 am

It’s a lovely way to go through life, looking for the good and helping out. It doesn’t even have to cost anything – I cleaned the house of a friend expecting a baby for example, provided free face painting for local school’s fundraisers, volunteered my time with kids groups, provided tea and sympathy to anyone who needed to stop by. None of it is grand or Earth moving, but maybe it helped a little? You do the same, sending PR opportunities my way, and the blackboard roll you sent us has been brilliant. Spread the love 🙂
    maz recently posted…Highlight of the yearMy Profile

2. Izzie Anderton
    December 24, 2015 / 9:45 am

Such a fabulous post to read on Christmas Eve and a great reminder that we have the ability to make a huge impact on the lives of others. Wishing you and your lovely family a very Happy Christmas. I hope your husband is well on the road to making a full recovery x
    Izzie Anderton recently posted…How Not to Do a Twitter ChatMy Profile

3. December 24, 2015 / 9:57 am

Wow, what amazing acts of kindness! You’re right to celebrate them in your blog at this time of year. I feel woefully inadequate now! I think I’ve done less for others than ever this year. Need to turn that round next year!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…The German Christmas marketMy Profile

4. Mim
    December 25, 2015 / 1:30 am

What a beautiful and uplifting post! Thank you so much for including me and Merry Christmas to you all! Mim x
    Mim recently posted…7 Month Post Partum UpdateMy Profile

5. December 26, 2015 / 11:52 am

These have brought tears to my eyes, I really needed to read about the kindness of humans after a difficult Christmas. Thank you for sharing this, especially when I needed it the most 🙂 You’ve certainly inspired me!
    Claire recently posted…Transform your Christmas leftovers into baked frittataMy Profile

6. December 26, 2015 / 7:22 pm

this is lovely, will be so sweet for you to read back on this in years to come x

7. December 27, 2015 / 6:52 am

I love this campaign by Wayfair and have done my own version. Some fabulous acts of kindness there, Chris sounds like an amazing person :0)
    Kara recently posted…Silent Sunday – 27th December 2015My Profile

8. December 28, 2015 / 3:18 pm

I totally agree that this year could go down as a bad one but focusing on the good is a great idea xx

9. December 28, 2015 / 9:44 pm

How lovely to go back through it, you forget so easily to help other people out and to do little acts of kindness. I love all of yours!
    Stephanie recently posted…Coast 2 Coast WhiteleyMy Profile

10. December 29, 2015 / 10:41 am

Posts like this help to restore my faith in humanity. There are lots of good things happening all around us if we only take the time to look. It’s so easy to get bogged down with the negatives! X

11. December 29, 2015 / 5:17 pm

What a beautiful blog post. I’ve had a tough year, well since September, but when you read things like this you know there’s always someone worse off than you. I feel like 2016 is going to be my year of giving. I’ve been getting the urge to do more for charity and this post has inspired me to follow my heart xx
    Alex Lamb & Bear recently posted…Shopping for baby number 2 with George at AsdaMy Profile

12. December 30, 2015 / 12:13 am

Wow what a lovely, inspiring and fulfilling year you have had and done so many good deeds to help others. Hope your stay is settling in well and can’t wait to see what you get up too in 2016

Laura x

13. December 30, 2015 / 4:30 pm

Such a lovely post. So nice looking back at the nice things we have done over the year isn’t it. You have done lovely things xx
    Beth Owen recently posted…We Have Some News!My Profile

14. January 2, 2016 / 1:43 pm

I love the idea of focussing on the good, we watched charlie brokers screen wipe for the year & felt so sad about how many bad things have happened to people this year but also there have been so many rallying to help x
    Fritha Strickland recently posted…Me and Mine – DecemberMy Profile