Creating a birthday party slideshow

As the farmer counted down, 25 children crouched in the starting position.

… 4, 3, 2, 1, GO!

The gate flew open and two pigs came flying out of their pen like rats up a drainpipe. On the other side of the fence, the children were in hot pursuit. Grown adults were heard to shout, “Come on Ginger!” Showing support for their favourite pig.

The unusual birthday party

Libby had waited all year for her birthday party. She’d been to some brilliant ones – the rest of the class had set a pretty high bar. And now it was her turn, no pressure. Luckily, there was pig racing. There was also a tractor ride, animal petting, a playground and of course, loads of cake. And I’m happy to say, it was a success.

But as usual, I let Libby down. I took no photos of the party, earning my stripes as both a failed blogger and a rubbish mum. There was a photo of the cake before we went, but other than that, nothing. And my husband? Well, he was too busy cheering for Ginger to get his camera out.

One of the other mums who was at the party kindly sent me a video of the pig racing. So we do have a rather unusual memento of the occasion. But next year, I really must do better.

Getting it right

Next year, I’m going to make sure I take my proper camera and actually use it. I might have to insist the party is a little more sedate than pig racing so I have half a chance of taking a decent photo.

And if I manage it, I can even share the photos with friends and family without too much hassle. I’ve discovered the Movavi happy birthday video maker, a desktop programme that creates slideshows for special occasions. Within two minutes of downloading Movavi, I had created a slideshow set to music. I used some photos of our stay at cBeebies Land – I was a bit more successful at taking photos there.

I’ve only tried it out in the free mode, so my video has text across it. But it would be well worth paying for the upgrade to make simple, effective slideshows that are set to music. It even gives you the choice of professional transitions so it looks seamless.

Next time, I’ll get it right.

Please note, this is a collaborative post. All views, opinions and epic failures are my own.

1. September 1, 2017 / 7:48 am

That looks brilliant, it looks very professional! I also have the problem with birthdays and photo taking, too busy trying to make sure everyone is happy. 🙂

• monsterid September 2, 2017 / 7:44 am

Yes, exactly that! I end up making sure all the kids are where they should be and everyone’s enjoying it instead of taking photos!
      Nat.x

2. September 1, 2017 / 5:33 pm

Hi Nat, I hope you are hanging your head in shame!..Not because you let Libby down, but I bet loads of your blogging buddies would have to have seen a few photos of pigs racing and spectators cheering them on! I know I would have. It sounds like you threw an excellent party, it sounds like so much fun! The slide show is pretty impressive too… Pigs would have looked good in there too.

xx
    Debbie recently posted…Monday Morning Blog Club 28/08/2017My Profile

• monsterid September 2, 2017 / 7:39 am

Haha you’re right, I probably should have videoed it really, definitely would have done the slideshow if I’d known about it!
      Nat.x

3. September 2, 2017 / 7:18 am

Had to laugh at you not taking photos at the birthday party! I’m not like some bloggers who take photos of literally everything, all day, every day, but I will always, always take photos of birthdays! They’re for my personal use and maybe a few on my personal FB, not blogging or social media. My kids get annoyed with me, but I have to mark the milestone every year.
    Pig racing sounds like an amazing party and I like the idea of a slideshow. I might give that a go with our holiday photos, it’s impressive that it only takes two minutes!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…The Undesired by Yrsa SigurdardottirMy Profile

• monsterid September 2, 2017 / 7:35 am

Haha I know, I’m such an idiot! But it was so busy, there were kids everywhere and I was too busy herding them 😉
      Yep I was impressed with the slideshow, I usually spend hours editing videos so it’s great to have a quick alternative.
      Nat.x

4. September 3, 2017 / 6:01 pm

Sounds like an amazing party, I think you did a brilliant job despite the lack of photos. It’s really hard to get photos while also being the host I was rubbish at Alice’s party too. I love the slideshow, such a simple way and great results x

• monsterid September 14, 2017 / 8:14 am

Thank you, I’m glad it’s not just me, I felt really guilty!
      Nat.x

5. September 3, 2017 / 10:27 pm

Happy birthday Libby 🙂 Don’t see your lack of photos as a failure but as a parenting success because you were present for Libby – a kid fell off really high monkey bars at our play park last week because his mum was trying to get a photo of him on it – poor little guy hanging there shouting for help as she peered up through her camera phone inches away from him but not moving to help, he fell from about 10 feet up (I had my own hands full with Toby and his little friend going up a ladder nearby).
    Maz Hopwood recently posted…Go Ape, Bedgebury PinetumMy Profile

• monsterid September 14, 2017 / 8:11 am

Thanks Maz, it was her birthday a while back, it was a bit of a reminiscent post! And eek to the poor little thing falling off, it’s such a difficult balance to strike between getting a photo to capture the memory and doing it at the expense of safety.
      Nat.x

6. September 5, 2017 / 5:48 am

Oh it’s so hard when you’re running around making sure everyone’s happy. A mum at school likened her daughter’s party to a wedding and I laughed until I did one 😉
    At a recent party, I pinched the parents camera which was lying on a table and took pics for them. I’d give the camera to someone else and get them to take them.
    Love the farm party *looks round to see if we could do them* ha ha
    Emma Lander recently posted…The Annual Cycle of a Sheep Farming Family 2017My Profile

• monsterid September 14, 2017 / 8:06 am

Oh that’s such a good idea, I might have to take my camera and collar someone next time.
      Nat.x