Making a stand against palm oil

A few weeks ago, I wrote this blog post about palm oil, and what would happen if we stopped using it.

When I published it, I had just started to reduce the amount of palm oil I used myself and found it so, so difficult. It really is in virtually everything.

From margarine to cosmetics to shampoo, to biscuits, chocolate, crisps, lip balm, sun cream, washing products. You name it, it’s in there.

With a very small number of exceptions, big corporations have very little interest in the ethical issues associated with palm oil use.

They don’t seem to care that orangutans will soon be extinct, that the rain-forest is being destroyed and animals being killed every day to make way for palm oil plantations.

Large businesses don’t care about the people who are being displaced from their homes and their traditional way of life, or that the carbon produced when the forests are burned down is damaging to our environment.

There are some small companies out there who are fighting against the tide. They are manufacturing products that are truly ethical, using no palm oil at all.

And yet, there is no single place to go where you can be assured that everything you purchase will be palm oil free.

I chatted to quite a few people who were in the same position as me. They wanted to cut down on their personal palm oil consumption, but it just wasn’t practical to trawl the internet to find palm oil free products every time they needed something.

And I found myself doing that awful thing that we all do. I got annoyed at how difficult it was to make palm oil free purchases and thought, “Someone should do something about that.”

My next thought brought me to the realisation that whilst I’m not powerful, influential or rich, I am still somebody. And I can do something about it. After all, if not me then who?

So, I have set the wheels in motion to set up a completely palm oil free marketplace. I’ve set up my company, my website is being built and I’m starting to contact producers of palm oil free goods to invite them to take part.

And that’s where I could do with a little bit of help. I know that there are hundreds of companies out there who are making fabulous products without palm oil, and I need to find the best ones.

So, if you use a brilliant product that you can recommend, please let me know all about them. And if you are a palm oil free manufacturer, I’d love to hear from you!

But if, like me, you’re just looking to decrease your palm oil consumption, I hope to be able to help with that in the very near future.

After all, if not me then who will?

LogoColorTextBelow

• monsterid May 4, 2015 / 10:06 pm

Aw thank you that’s such a kind thing to say 🙂

1. May 4, 2015 / 10:24 pm

What an inspiration, to really think “I am that somebody” I really hope you can make this work and make a difference, how wonderful that would be!
    Coombe Mill recently posted…Sprouting a good taleMy Profile

• monsterid May 4, 2015 / 10:39 pm

Thank you so much for your support, I hope so too!x

2. May 5, 2015 / 6:33 am

BRILLIANT IDEA – we try hard to not eat palm oil so it’s no Nutella in our house anymore …. although there are alternatives which are palm oil free thank goodness … but it’s where it is in all those other products where you would not expect it.

Good luck and I’ll be sharing this for you 🙂
    Rosie @Eco-Gites of Lenault recently posted…20% off all May and June 2015 datesMy Profile

• monsterid May 5, 2015 / 6:47 am

Thank you so much Rosie, great to know that you’re trying to avoid it too.xx

3. @SarahAnneDG
    May 5, 2015 / 7:08 am

This is brilliant, a great idea and good for you for making that step from thought to action! Best of luck <3

• monsterid May 5, 2015 / 7:24 am

Thank you Maz, I was trying to remember what the peanut butter brand you mentioned was 🙂

• vicki
        May 5, 2015 / 1:53 pm

meridian peanut butter is the nicest

• monsterid May 5, 2015 / 2:01 pm

Brilliant, a few people have mentioned them to me, I’ll add them to my list of people to contact, fingers crossed they will want to work with me 😉

4. Izzie Anderton
    May 5, 2015 / 7:20 am

Good luck with the new venture… I look forward to hearing about this on your blog x
    Izzie Anderton recently posted…50 Things That Make Me HappyMy Profile

5. Elly Lindsay
    May 5, 2015 / 6:19 pm

Well done, we find palm oil hard to avoid especially when you’re making a quick dash into the supermarket. My children are keen to avoid it too and check labels. Have recently seen “sustainable palm oil” listed as an ingredient (Nairns) not sure exactly what that means. Meridian products as above are palm oil free and also Biona nut butters and other products.

• monsterid May 5, 2015 / 6:22 pm

Brilliant, thank you Elly, I will check those brands out. I’d prefer to avoid palm oil all together, I think sustainable palm oil still has it’s own issues.x

• monsterid May 6, 2015 / 2:06 pm

Thank you Martyn, I will certainly keep you updated 🙂

6. May 7, 2015 / 7:57 am

Quick list from my cupboards – Clipper instant hot chocolate; WholeEarth organic no caf (chicory and barley drink); Biona almond butter; Meridian peanut butter; Lucy Bee coconut oil; The Groovy Food Company coconut oil; Fruitbowl jungle shapes (fruit sweets with no gelatine etc), ecover laundry products.
    Maz recently posted…You know you might be hippy parent when…My Profile

• monsterid May 7, 2015 / 10:51 pm

Amazing, thanks Maz 🙂 I will contact them all soon.xx

7. Debbie
    May 8, 2015 / 5:07 pm

Hi Natalie, after this comment I’m going to check out your original post. I am a label reader when I’m shopping an there are certain ingredients I avoid in what I buy, but palm oil is not one of them.

Thank you for bringing to my attention the harm that producing palm oil causes.

xx
    Debbie recently posted…The Feral Kittens Have Gone…My Profile

• monsterid May 8, 2015 / 5:14 pm

Thank you Debbie, I really appreciate you taking an interest in this. I think it’s an important issue that’s been somewhat swept under the carpet owing to it being cheap to use, thereby maximizing profit margins for the large corporations who don’t really care.x