Taking control of my relationship with a time thief

If you’ve ever watched Doctor Who, you’ll know that messing with time means trouble. There’s never enough hours in the day and then something comes along and steals the time you do have. It can’t just be me who loses hours each week to the time thief. But here’s the thing, I don’t want to end my relationship with it completely. It has its good points, but it’s time for a change.

So come on, what is the time thief?

I start off each day determined to get through my to-do list and make every minute count. But then I pick up my phone and press the little blue ‘F’ and hours just disappear. I start flicking through to see what my friends are up to and before I know it I’m looking at funny pictures of cats or watching a video of somebody dunking a biscuit in a cup of tea at the end of bungee rope.

Seriously Facebook, what have you done to me? What have I become? And I can totally understand why people feel the need to deactivate their Facebook account. But is that the right option for me? Absolutely not.

I need an account in order to maintain my Facebook page. I also make a point of liking and commenting on things my friends share on their pages. It is a small gesture that can make all the difference to a blogger or small business owner. And more importantly, if I deactivated my Facebook account I might miss a hilarious cat GIF. And my life would be much poorer for that.

Taking back control

So what to do? Accept that many hours of my life will forevermore be swallowed up by articles I don’t need to read, videos I never really wanted to watch and cat photos? Or, do I give up my Facebook page, stop chatting on messenger to people I probably wouldn’t recognise in the street and take back my time? Well for me, there was a third option.

I have recently realised that I can still use Facebook page manager and messenger on my phone even if I remove the Facebook app. If I’m going to have a Facebook page I do need access to it at all times to reply to comments and messages and deal with any issues such as internet trolls. And I quite like Facebook messenger. I am rubbish at storing telephone numbers so being able to click on a picture of somebody’s face and ping them a message is ideal.

It’s not you, it’s me…

But as for Facebook itself? It really doesn’t need to be on my phone. So I’m not divorcing Facebook. It will provide a welcome distraction when I’m on the computer. I will still do my utmost to support friends and fellow bloggers with a like or comment on their posts. But it’s so much quicker on the computer and there’s less danger of undoing all my good work with a horrible auto-correct.

And the crux of it is that my relationship with Facebook has to change. When I’m in my right mind, my time is put to much better use by being fully present with my children. Doing one thing at a time rather than watching videos, reading articles and of course looking at cat photos whilst I do virtually every day-to-day task. So Facebook, it’s not you its me. But the honeymoon period is finally over and we need to spend less time together.

Do you have an unhealthy relationship with Facebook or have you reclaimed your time from the abyss?

Taking control of my relationship with a time thief

1. May 9, 2017 / 6:44 am

It’s not just Facebook for me! Instagram & twitter are black holes too! Quite often, I reemerge dazed & blinking with no clue about what it was I’d picked my phone up for in the first place!! L xx

2. May 9, 2017 / 6:50 am

I would quite happily get rid of my Facebook if I could just have my blog & photography profiles. But then I would miss the contact between friends and family who, let’s be honest, wouldn’t otherwise actually bother to keep in touch with me.
    I’d like it to go back to the time when it seemed a much nicer place to be – no sharing racist posts or being able to see shit that someone you don’t even know because so-and-so who you worked in the office with 5 years ago liked it.
    God I sound miserable, but it has lost its attraction.
    Melanie Chadd recently posted…Afternoon Tea on the Union CanalMy Profile

3. May 9, 2017 / 3:43 pm

My problem has always been Twitter rather than Facebook. I’ve never liked looking at Facebook on my phone, I save that for the actual computer. And I very rarely get sucked into looking at videos, so it’s a quick scroll through people’s status updates and photos and I’m done! I do actually spend less time on Twitter these days, but I’ve probably increased the time I spend on Instagram. Let’s face it, there will always be something to steal our time!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…More Parkrun triumphsMy Profile

4. May 9, 2017 / 4:25 pm

Jamer! That totally auto corrected to Janet. Ahem.

I’m with you, I’m actually reassessing what’s important to life at the moment and I’ve decided to spend more effort on accounts for our business than blogging. So I’ll be a bit quiet from now on. Hopefully.

I also want to sort my house out desperately so we are getting rid of lots of stuff and I’ll spend my time browsing for good deals instead of being on Facebook. (I mean I can’t cut out procrastination completely).

I might follow suit and delete some social media too!
    Nat | UEM recently posted…Camp Wilderness Family Day : ReviewMy Profile

5. May 9, 2017 / 4:25 pm

Jamer! That totally auto corrected to Janet. Ahem.

I might follow suit and delete some social media too!
    Nat | UEM recently posted…Camp Wilderness Family Day : ReviewMy Profile

6. May 9, 2017 / 4:34 pm

I’m not really a Facebook girl but I can waste many hours looking at Instagram. It drives me crazy but yet I can’t seem to stop myself!!!

7. May 10, 2017 / 1:51 pm

My husband came off Facebook about 6 years ago and I have to say at times I am jealous. When he meets up with his friends he genuinely does need a catch up as he has no clue what they’ve been up to!! I don’t really use my personal FB page much anymore. But I can loose so much time browsing through my feed or seeing what people are up to in groups. Oh and IG I love browsing through all the photos. I really need to give it all up! x

8. May 10, 2017 / 2:12 pm

This is such a timely post. I’ve been thinking about removing Facebook but need it for my blog. So, I’m going to take the app off my phone and literally just use it for my page!

9. May 11, 2017 / 9:15 am

I find that it’s both Facebook and IG for me! It’s hard when you need to use it for the blog too! X

10. May 12, 2017 / 10:25 am

Oh yes, I can relate to this. I waste so much time mindlessly scrolling through social media. Limiting yourself to just using it on the computer (other than Pages manager) is such a good idea.

11. May 14, 2017 / 4:01 pm

I can totally relate. I’m a fb person, and more recently a twitter one too. It can literally take over, and I feel like such a hypocrite as I don’t want my kids to be staring at technology all day everyday when they grow up, but I’m not exactly setting the best example now!
    I need to take a step back and appreciate the everyday things a bit more! Great post 🙂