Easter is never a great time for healthy eating. So, we wanted a slightly more healthy easter dessert recipe. I found this healthy chocolate recipe from Eats Amazing. We decided we’d give this a go and make healthy Easter nests. Instead of filling them with Easter eggs or mini eggs, we filled them with soft fruit.
Healthy Easter nests – Ingredients
- Coconut oil (100g)
- Cocoa powder (5 tablespoons)
- Maple syrup (2 tablespoons)
- Vanilla extract (2 teaspoons)
- Shredded wheat (3 biscuits)
- Chopped soft fruit (a small plateful)
You will also need
- Cupcake cases (6 large, 6 small)
Healthy Easter nests – Method
- Place the coconut oil in a microwave proof bowl
- Add the cocoa powder
- Microwave at 30 second intervals until combined and liquid
- Add maple syrup and vanilla extract
- Stir well
- Add shredded wheat
- Smash them up
- Spoon into the cupcake cases
- Top with the chopped fruit
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes
Other ideas for Easter nests
You could add mini Easter eggs instead of fruit if you prefer. Alternatively, you could follow the chocolate recipe and use some moulds to make your own mini Easter eggs to put on top. I have also experimented with stirring raspberries into the chocolate mix and this tastes fabulous.
You could also use this method to make rice crispy cakes or cornflake cakes. Both are real favourites with toddlers and don’t require any baking. You’ll definitely need an apron though, this is quite a messy recipe when children are involved.
The idea here was that the children had the small Easter nests and the large ones were for the adults. Of course that didn’t happen. It may be worth doubling the recipe instead and making 12 large ones.
Healthy Easter nests: the verdict
These healthy Easter nests are perfect to make with children. I love the fact that the girls are happy to eat them as treats as they taste just like normal chocolate. We’ll be making them closer to Easter and we might even make a few as gifts instead of giving Easter eggs. If you’re looking for more quick and easy treats to make with kids, check out our chocolate chip flapjack recipe.