Paste your Google Webmaster Tools verification code here

A garden renovation project

This is a paid collaborative post.

For many years, our garden has been a source of frustration. It’s not huge, but there is plenty of space. The problem was, we weren’t making the most of it. It was disjointed, with the front garden separate from the back and side garden. There was no fence between the front garden and the pavement. Strangely though, there was a huge hedge between the front and back gardens.

Removing the hedge

To reclaim our front garden, the first task was to remove the conifer hedge. This seemed like a mammoth task. Knowing when to do it was difficult too. Whilst it was too large and overgrown, it did offer both privacy and security. So, I put off removing the hedge until we knew we could afford to put a fence in place. I knew that removing the hedge would be a big job, and with hindsight I should have enquired about the cost of hedge removal. Not only did I decide to do it myself, but I used a manual saw rather than a chainsaw. It took days.

Once that was done, it became clear that the amount of space it freed up was vast. I booked someone to come and put a fence up around the front garden. It would still be separated from the back garden by a small fence with a gate, but now we would be able to use it and feel secure due to the high fence separating it from the road. Then, coronavirus hit and it looked doubtful as to whether we would manage to get the fence erected.

Timed to perfection

Our fencer was finally booked in for around the time when everything was shutting down due to the coronavirus. Luckily, he managed to get the supplies he needed. He was allowed to continue working and wanted to do so in order to carry on earning. He was able to put up the fence without having contact with anybody, so it went ahead.

The timing couldn’t have been better. As soon as the fence was up, we went to work on the garden. Since then, we’ve moved a shed and taken down a dog run to give us more space. In the area that has been fenced off, we’ve dug a vegetable plot, planted a blueberry bush and relocated some strawberry plants. Rocket, turnip and beetroot seeds have gone in there and we’ve started cucumbers, tomatoes, courgettes, rosemary and peppers on the windowsill.

The area we’ve reclaimed is now home to a swing and a den for the children to play in. It also has a compost bin and a large container for collecting water. We’ve had swing ball and a hammock in there and generally made the most of it. Whilst I wish we had done it sooner, it was all about affordability and I’m glad we waited until we could do it without getting into debt. The timing has also been ideal in terms of keeping the children occupied. It’s all still new and exciting, so they are loving staying at home. I couldn’t ask for more.

Follow:
This is a paid collaborative post.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.